Aaron M. Villalobos Executive Director Nicole Belmont rounds out her administrative staff with the addition…
This week’s composer spotlight features Brent Michael Davids! His “Native American Suite” will be featured in our upcoming “Desert Song” concerts on March 7-8. In this edition of ChoirTap, we will be doing a quick list of fun facts about this renowned Native American composer.
- He is both a composer and a flutist.
- He is a member of the Stockbridge Mohican tribe of American Indians.
- He has composed for many distinguished groups including Joffrey Ballet, Kronos Quartet and the National Symphony Orchestra.
- He got his Masters in music composition here in the Valley at Arizona State University!
- His musical experience stretches past the concert scene, having composed music for films such as “The Music of Fancydancing” and “The Last of the Mohicans.”
- His native Mohican name is Blue Butterfly.
- He was born in Madison, Wisconsin and now resides in Saint Paul, Minnesota.
- He was one of only six composers invited to Robert Redford’s Sundance Institute for composing.
- He founded the music company Blue Butterfly Group.
- The Phoenix Chorale will sing his highly praised work “Native American Suite” this March with Platinum artist R. Carlos Nakai!
Come out March 7-8 and hear the Phoenix Chorale singers perform works of not only Brent Michael Davids, but many other talented composers as well, and a solo performance by R. Carlos Nakai from his Platinum album Canyon Trilogy.
Samantha Allen, Marketing and Communications Intern